Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Some speculation on collecting and recent codices ...

This weekend saw me come to a weird experience you only get occasionally in the wargaming hobby.  It's the experience of "done".  You need to embrace it, it doesn't last for long ...

It was a great opportunity to collect up my Storm Wolf army and put them on display.  They look amazing ...


Don't laugh, but Calgar reminds me of my grandfather







Yup - I've got almost a quarter of a chapter there, but I have no desire to build a whole set (I seem to just end up getting more and more marines).  I have a hangup about using any model for a battle without it being "done" (and based even).  So done is a big thing, and it's taken about 10 years to get this army to this state.  Of course in that time I've learned a lot about assembly and painting, and I occasionally notice a model that "needs a revamp" to bring up to snuff.

Of course a new Codex is a mixed bag of emotion.  When I played Space Marines at Call To Arms 2013, it was generally noticed that compared to many of the races which had been updated, they were a hard race to play at the moment.  That's not necessarily a bad thing - in the 2010 Call To Arms, we saw about 60% of players were just various Space Marine regiments.  Diversity is good for the game.

A new Codex means new ways of playing with your existing force.  I have to feel a bit cynical though - as also with a new Codex there are always "new toys" introduced, which typically feel like it's time to dig into your pocket again and buy more Games Workshop merchandise.

The new Space Marine codex in September last year introduced some interesting new weapons,

  • the grav gun.  Typically most codices under 6th edition have been introducing high toughness, multi-wound, monstrous creatures.  With the relegation of the tank under 6th edition, these seemed to be the new "in vogue" killing machine.  Interestingly Space Marines didn't get them, but this weapon is very much the "monstrous creature hunter".  Annoyingly though (thanks Games Workshop), you only get one in a new pack of space marines.  And as you can imagine (I own about 200 of them), the last thing I need to do is buy three new packs of space marine just to get 3 x grav guns.  Hence I've ended up improvising my own - trying to make them look like almost an anti-grav coil/toxic super-soaker ...

  • the anti-flier tanks.  I've been split between buying one of these or an Aegis defence line, with it's anti-aircraft gun.  Ended up going for the defence line, just so again I can improvise the Stalker tank with a Razorback.



  • Centurions.  Hmmm ... in a way very cool, they're a squad of multi-wound tough guys.  They're somewhere between a Terminator and a Dreadnought.  I haven't ended up buying a pack yet, as I'm not won on them.  They don't have an invulnerable armour save, so would be the target of most malicious players (oh that's mean, but we're all malicious players at heart).  But against this they have 2 wounds and a lot of weaponry.  All the same as I saw in this video, I have to agree, "where is our Riptide or Helldrake?".


The codex was nice, and a good read, but of course, release on release there's a lot of repeated artwork and fluff.

Not so cool was my son's update of the Imperial Guard of Adeptus Ministorum as they're now called (technically they were always called this, but this is how they're now sold).  A bit like with the new rules changes, it's a lot of money for very little changes (it felt a very lazy update).

My son's really annoyed at losing his penal legionnaires (they were a cool unit), but there's very few changes - the introduction of a new mortar tank, and heavy armoured Ogryns, which although cool, there doesn't really seem much point in.  Certainly in a world of Terminators and Riptides, the Ogryns seem the poor and expendable cousins.  Heck I'd put my money on a Nob with a power weapon over the Ogryn.

Next projects ... I'm actually busy building a tank to use as a piece of scenery - very much a hunt for scenery type object.  I really like the idea of getting either a JCB model or old style tractor (pre-roll cage) to decorate our landscapes.





No comments:

Post a Comment